In the context of the approval by the ENVI Committee at the beginning of this year of the Access to Medicines report, EU40 would like to have an interactive debate on this timely topic with a focus on mail order pharmacies which are also delivering prescription medicines. While the report at EU level stresses the importance of looking into the potential of generics and moving from profit-oriented to patient-driven research, there are differences in the EU Member States in the pharmaceutical system as healthcare is regulated by the Member States. In Germany, for instance, the federal government would like to ban the mail order of prescription medicines to protect the brick and mortar pharmacies from competition.
At the same time, the consumer always benefits from choice and price competition and should be able to decide on his own whether to buy medicines from an online pharmacy or a physical one. Technology is changing healthcare and patients greatly benefit from it no matter where they live.
The roundtable will take place on the 27th of April, from 11.00 to 12.30h, at the European Parliament, room A5G-1.
To register for the debate, please click on the button below:
- Agnes Mathieu, SANCO B5: Medicines: policy, authorisation and monitoring, DG SANTE, European Commission;
- Prof. Dr. Christian Franken, Chief Pharmacy Officer, DocMorris;
- Jan Depoorter, Pharmacist, Secretary General of APB – Belgian Pharmaceutical Association;
- Pierre Meulien, Executive Director, Innovative Medicines Initiative;
- Konstantinos Aligiannis, EPF – European Patients Forum.
We are looking forward to having an interactive debate with 20-30 handpicked stakeholders in the room and the whole audience engaging in the discussion.