On 4th of September, EU40 organised a high-level roundtable on gender equality in the industry sector in general and in the petrochemical industry specifically. The discussion was hosted by MEP Biljana Borzan (S&D Group, FEMM Substitute) and followed by a networking brunch from 11.00 to 11.30.
We roundtable addressed the famous (or infamous) “glass ceiling” experienced by numerous women aspiring to work in top positions and / or in male-dominated sectors. Female players are largely invisible on the highest levels and face inequalities with regards to education, training and salaries.
Speakers and participants discussed how the STEM sector could effectively support female potential, establish role models and attract more women into leadership positions?
- MEP Bilijana Borzan – S&D Group, FEMM Substitute
- Doris Wolfslehner – Federal Chancellery, Austrian Presidency
- Anne van Nistelrooij – Team Leader, Gender Equality unit DG Justice, European Commission
- Dorothee Arns – Executive Director, Petrochemicals Europe
- Germnana Viglietta – Social Attaché, Italian Permanent Representation to the European Union
- Irene Wintermayr – Policy Officer, International Labour Organisation (ILO)