Vice-Chair – Committee on the Internal Market and Consumer Protection
Committee on the Internal Market and Consumer Protection, Vice-Chair
Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs, Substitute
Delegation for relations with Switzerland and Norway and to the EU-Iceland Joint Parliamentary Committee and the European Economic Area (EEA) Joint Parliamentary Committee
Delegation for relations with the United States, Substitute
Catherine is married and has two children.
She was nominated for the MEP awards 2014 in “Sustainable built environment”: With 90% of time spent indoors for the average European, our built environment plays a crucial role in our daily lives. As we take on energy and resource efficiency challenges, solutions can be found in our communities, buildings, infrastructures and landscapes. The winner of this award has embraced the complex world of construction and contributed meaningfully to policy affecting its sustainability.
– MEP since 1999
– Labour´s European Consumer Rights Spokesperson
– Member of the Internal Market and the Economic and Monetary Affairs Committees.
– Member of the Delegation for relations with Switzerland and Norway and to the EU-Iceland Joint Parliamentary Committee and the European Economic Area (EEA) Joint Parliamentary Committee.
– European Parliament Spokesperson on the EEA Review and on the future EEA relations with small-sized countries and Switzerland.
– MA (Hons.) Geography and International Relations, St Andrews University (1996); M.Litt. (International Security Studies), St Andrews University (1998). Political advisor to Anne Begg MP (1997-1999).
– Member of Unite, Community and the Co-op Party.
– In the Labour Party: Youth representative on the Scottish Executive Committee (1993-1995); Youth representative on the National Executive Committee (1995-1997); Parliamentary Candidate, Angus constituency (1997). Labour candidate, Dunfermline and West Fife by-election (2006).
– In the European Parliamentary Labour Party: health spokesperson (1999-2004); fisheries spokesperson (1999-2004); fisheries and regional development spokesperson (2004-2009); Deputy Leader (2004-2006).
– Editor of the Parliament Magazine (2002-2011 ).